Return to ForumsReply to Thread
87 Coupe won't start

I ran out of gas. Refilled to a quarter tank, now won't start. Sputers and runs for 2-4 seconds. Can hear the fuel pump running. Have jumped out the pump relay, sometimes runs a little better, but not usually. Getting 10-15 psi on the fuel manifold. Help Thanks 4 months without a ride.

Submitted by: William Carey

ReplyPosted By
YOUR FUEL PRESURE SHOULD BE ABOUT 32 TO 40. RUNNING AROUND 32. YOU SAID IT'S NOT RUNNING SO IT SHOULD BE CLOSER TO 40PSI. IF FUEL PRESURE DROPPING DOWN TO 10-15 OR ONLY GOING TO 10-15. IF IT'S DROPPING YOU MAY HAVE A FUEL PRESURE REGULATOR THAT IS BAD AND NOT HOLDING PRESURE OR A INJECTOR NOT CLOSING. IF THE PRSURE ONLY GOES TO 10- 15 VERY SLOWLY AND STOPS THERE IT IS EITHER A BAD FUEL FILTER, PUMP, OR ARERATOR OR HOSE BETWEEN PUMP AND STAND PIPE. YOU CAN PINCE OFF OR PLUG THE RETURN LINE AND SEE IF PRESURE GOES CLOSE TO 40 PSI, AND IF IT DOES YOU HAVE A BAD FUEL PRESURE REGULATOR. GOOD LUK Eddie Watkins on 2/15/2013 5:40:05 PM
I would check the system for dirt, in the tank and fuel lines and filters. Didn`t give the year of Vette, but dirt can cause all kinds of problems after running out of fuel. Anonymous on 4/16/2010 2:34:49 PM
it sure sounds like the pump.relace the filter,the pump comes up thru the filler door with the fuel sender attached.be careful not to damage it when pulling it out.you ca get a pump at any parts store,advance etc.also ck the pickup filter on the pump,it could be cloggedd or colapsed restricting flow. chevy man on 2/8/2010 9:59:37 AM
I agree. check your fuel filter first. If you are not running fuel pressure around 30 - 35 lbs. after that your pump is burned up. One thing to remember that is very important is that your fuel acts as a lubricant also and ANY time you get below 1/8 of a tank (especially at 60,000 miles and above) you will risk fuel pump failure. I have over 100,000 on my 91 Convertible and still have the original pump. I have over 150,00 mile on my truck and still have the original pump as well. Never let my tank run lower than 1/8 of tank. Good Luck 74Mako Benjamin Dickerson on 2/7/2010 11:06:31 AM
fuel filter would be the first thing to check Jonathan Lytle on 2/7/2010 10:19:57 AM
Hi William have you tried my suggestion? Henry Callahan on 2/7/2010 9:27:59 AM
Agree with above answer. Hopefully you picked uip some gunk from the bottom of the tank that clogged the filter, otherwise its pump time. Richard Carey Adams Richard Adams on 2/7/2010 8:50:06 AM
Hi Your car should have between 34 and 39 psi.You have pump problems.Check the pressure again.The first thing I would do is to replace the filter.If the pressure does not come up, Next is dropping the tank and replace the pump. Jakebowls@aol.com Henry Callahan on 2/2/2010 6:14:00 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread