Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Vette no go

Scenario: I drove my vette to work. It was runnin' normal. Stopped and got breakfast and left it runnin' like I always do. Went to work, still runnin' fine. Went to leave work and it ran about 5 seconds and shut down.....ended up killin' the battery tryin' to get it started. battery is ok now after charging, so I'm not worried about that. Back in '08, ( I believe it was) I put in one of those Pertronix boxes that fit under the distributor cap (to illiminate the points and condensor setup) and put in the new E3 Diamond Fire plugs.....she ran like a top, and still did up until a few days a go, (mentioned in the 1st paragraph). I have replaced the plug wires and plugs and cap and rotor. Now it seems like there isn't any spark at all.......is it possible that the Pertronix box went out? I can usually figure these things out but this one has me stumped. Any and all help is appreciated and thank you in advanced. Russ

Submitted by: Russell Van Gundy

ReplyPosted By
Do You Have the original carb on it? If you do put a new float in it. The alcohol in the gas makes it swell. Then it rubs the side of the fuel bowl, and will either flood the engine, or goes dry. Dennis Hrinda on 6/12/2014 9:09:18 PM
Vic - it's '72 Stingray LT1, it doesn't have the ballist that you speak of, that was the 1st thing I checked for when I installed the Pertronix. Rick - I replaced the coil at the same time I installed the Petronix. Thanks everyone for their input on this...right now she's just sittin' in the garage.....hopin' this weekend I can get out there and tinker on her to get her goin' again. Will let you all know the result of my findings. Russ Russell Van Gundy on 4/20/2010 8:37:15 AM
Have you checked the coil? Depending upon which model of Petronix you have, unless you have a mated coil, your coil or ignitor is in for a short lifespan. In my '63, the coil took the hit and my car died instantly in the passing lane of the highway, not exactly a fun ride. Good luck Rick on 4/18/2010 7:17:42 AM
Did you possibly fry the solinoid? Anonymous on 4/16/2010 7:36:27 AM
Check the ground wire from the box first...... Mike Anonymous on 4/16/2010 7:35:39 AM
I have to agree the Pertronix conversions are not the best. They do fail. If you can find the Mallory version (sold under the Uni-Lite name) they are reliable. I converted my Chevelles and Corvettes to the Mallory units back in 1972. Mallory has updated the module to a higher working voltage so as to avoid damage if your alternator voltage regulator ever fails. I've only had one Mallory unit that seemed to be intermittent after 15 years and I replaced it. I've had no trouble since. Someone mentioned a ballast resistor in the post. That is only needed inline with the coil. Most breakerless ignition units work at full battery voltage and don't need the resistor. Jerry Rebman on 4/15/2010 8:49:15 PM
Russ, Pardon my French, but I have found Pertronicx units to be C**P. Get rid of it and purchase the one sold by Lectric Limited. Look under Breakerlsss Ignition on their web page. They are $159 and I have never had a problem one. They have one wire coming out from the distributor cap and that helps keep the stock look on older cars. Charlie Charlie on 4/15/2010 4:18:34 PM
You didn't relay the year, but earlir units require a ballast resistor ot keep from overvoltage and frying the module, check your instructions !!! vic Victor Bellan on 4/15/2010 3:33:30 PM
When I put Pertronix system in vetts I always put the old points & condensor in the car because I have had to reinstall them because the Pertronix system crapped out. If you put them back in the car will probably start. Thomas Martin on 4/15/2010 2:54:12 PM
I agree with the above post, ignition module failed. From the description it may be that your charging system also needs attention.The low voltage to the pertronix may have killed it. lotus12 on 4/15/2010 2:31:04 PM
Yes try their support site http://www.pertronix.com/support/default.aspx Anonymous on 4/15/2010 2:22:16 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread