Return to ForumsReply to Thread
2004 Vette Emissions Problem

My Vette has 18,600 miles and the engine check light keeps appearing with a (P0410-secondary air injection system malfunction problem*).I took it over to Koons Chevy),the repair was about $550.00, and asked them with a Vette with that low mileage if GM covered the problem, and the reply was NO. I've had the car back a week and the engine light went to again. NOW,the emissions says it's two problems. It's a (P0410-secondary air injection malfunction(as before the repair),and a P0491* added-Insufficient flow bank 1). I'd think with a Vette with that low milage, garaged, maintained, it's looks like a GM design problem. What do you think. Many thanks.

Submitted by: Frank Johnston

ReplyPosted By
Regarding the last reply regarding Customer Relations - 1-800-222-1020 for Chevrolet. I tried-they are in Argentine - Good Luck. I've contacted -Signed Receipt Requested Letters - to Detroit & Warren Michigan and everyone at the NHTSA in Washington. All I get is a phone call refusing to let me record them (even though they want to record me for training purposes!) from an Administrative Assist., Melessa Golden, who can't tell me exactly who she is calling for (who she works for) telling me to pretty much "go pound Sand". Lynnie Hinely on 7/10/2012 12:11:17 PM
First it could be a design problem but.......I have found to many times the cars that aren't driven what is considered average miles yearly (12000) seem to have more of these nagging problems... Anonymous on 6/11/2010 2:19:24 PM
Well, I'm not really sure what the problem is, but I can pass on information about a similar experience I had with my 2002 C5. Check engine light came on, and the computer threw a code which, if memory serves me here, was the same as your PO491. The cause was a bad Cat Converter (the car had about 20K-22K miles on it at the time). That was the bad news. The good news, and this would apply to you as well if in fact you have a bad Cat, was that GM warranties the Cats for 8 years. Koons replaced mine for free. Good luck. Anonymous on 6/11/2010 2:18:46 PM
If you bought the Vette at a dealership, they should take care of the problem, for good PR if nothing else. Would certainly do wonders for their business. Especially if the car were originally sold there. But some dealers, unfortunately, do not seem to care about repeat business. Anonymous on 6/11/2010 2:17:53 PM
In Virginia you have to through a State Emissions check once a year , and if your engine check light gives two errors, my car will flunk the Emissions Inspection. I'm told after the first repair, it could happen again if the car isn't driven enough. I'd like to know how much driving do you have to do to avoid the rust problem with the Emissions. Haven't gotten an answer yet. Anyone know! Thanks, FJ Frank Johnston on 6/4/2010 1:19:19 PM
I have a 2002 Z-06, and the engine check light is on most - but not all - of the time. This has been for the last 10,000 of its 44,000 miles. Frankly, other than the minor irritation of seeing it on, I basically ignore it, and I have had no trouble whatsoever. Benjamin Davis on 5/28/2010 7:51:09 PM
I had two failure codes "left bank lean" and "right bank lean" on my 2003 Z06. The codes would appear after several cycles or starts. The codes apparently measure number of starts or something. I took the car to a dyno tune place and the fellow was very knowledgeable...the problem could have been a new mass airflow sensor, MAS, I installed along with the K&N air filter system and flow thru exhaust. I elected to pay for a dyno tune where he runs up the rpm's to 6000 and adjusts everything on his computer. Never had a problem since, and it sure runs significantly better. The dyno tune was worth the 500.00. Marc Snyder Marc Snyder on 5/28/2010 8:51:05 AM
I'd ask your dealer for the phone # for Chevrolet Customer Relations. Thomas Svoboda on 5/28/2010 8:34:36 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread