Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Power antenna activation on 1978

I recently replaced a defective power antenna with an aftermarket model. The instructions made the assumption that the antenna would not activate until the radio switch was turned on. The instructiions stated that the "relay" had to be checked with a voltmeter with the radio on/off etc to avoid damage to the new antenna but they were not specific on where this relay was located. Ever since I have owned the car (1997) the old antenna activated when I turned the key on whether the radio was on or not and always worked until it finally would no longer go up or down so I replaced it. Before installing the new one, I checked the voltage on the various wires and the proper voltage was present but I couldn't test it the way it was explained since the radio does not control the voltage being applied to the antenna on my car. Does anyone know if this year activates with the ignition or the radio switch? I went ahead and installed the new antenna anyway and it works like the old one with one exception: Sometimes it will come up on its own but sometimes I have to "help" it up by pulling it slightly as though it is sticking. I treated it with mineral oil as advised in the instructions but it still sticks. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help. Fred Dailey

Submitted by: Frederick Dailey

ReplyPosted By
I have owned a 1978 Pace Car for many years. My antenna would always activate only when the radio was turned on. I did have to replace the antenna once using a OEM replacement with no change in the basic operation Anonymous on 6/11/2010 1:31:29 PM
Being the original owner of a 1978 corvette with the power antenna option, the power antenna remains down when the ignation is turned on and only activates after the radio is turned on. As far as the location of the antenna relay. Per the 1978 Corvette Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, it indicates that the relay is located to the rear console reinforcement. Note: you may have a defective relay. Rudy Pleskovich on 6/7/2010 9:14:40 AM
Fred, i had that problem with a 89 Coupe and tried everything. i used cooking oil, wd-40 and even goof off. the antenna would be okay for awhile and then stick again. It was very frustrating. I got my antenna replacement from Ecklers and had great success with it from then on. It didn't stick or come up intermittenly from then and still was working when i traded the 89 on a 95 coupe. Hope this helps, Bob C. bobctm3 on 6/7/2010 8:27:59 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread