Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Corvette storage

If a Vette (C2, C3) is prepared properly for cold storage, what possible detriments could arise from winter storage in an unheated enclosed car hauler? The temperature can get down below zero where I live. Thanks for any advise and input.

Submitted by: William Booth

ReplyPosted By
get the weight off the tires; if unable, raise and put weight on new area of tire regularly. John Earnshaw on 8/8/2010 11:30:46 PM
Ooops! I meant heated/temperature controlled storage! Ralph Tileston on 8/5/2010 5:56:17 PM
Moisture, humidity, fluctuating temperatures are all the gremlins that can ruin your vehicle over a brief time. I have a 1977 and after 4 years of living in South Carolina, I am just now getting rid of the corrosion that came from various storage schemes in Illinois for the first 29 years of life. Unheated/temperature controlled is really the only way to keep your Corvette tip-top! Best of luck! Ralph Tileston on 8/5/2010 5:54:43 PM
The previous replies have covered the main concerns. The use of moisture absorbing pouches in the interior will go a long way in keeping the mildew from forming and helps protect the instrumentation and radio. Make the compartment able to breath from the upper portion and seal (as best possible) the lower section to resist vermin infestation. Cap the tailpipes and breather openings with a non-airtight material. If you don't mind the clean-up later, silicone spray can protect many of the exterior items that will be subjected to the change in temperature and humidity As others have mentioned, you can only minimize the effects from this type of storage. Good luck, Mike Michael Gaither on 8/5/2010 3:28:25 PM
As with the last responses , is the concern with moisture, and without ventilation, there will be some changes rather big changes in the temperature , morso if the trailer is stored outside , and sees sun occasionaly on the car hauler causing some condensation , which is what you must avoid. Another concern is small critters taking up residence inside your vette , they can cause a lot of damage in a short time ! Vic Victor Bellan on 8/5/2010 2:23:52 PM
I guess I see things a little differently. If the hauler does not leak, you should be allright. You will only get condensation if the car is cold, it is warmer and moist outside, and you open the hauler up. In general, the temperature of the car will follow the outside temp and your problems should be minimal. Unless you put the car in temperature and humidity controlled storage, it will never be perfect. Rubber will always rot, stored or not. Arthur Knigge on 8/5/2010 12:08:33 PM
Mold will be a problem. You really need air circulation to prevent moisture and mold growth. Check out solar powered vents and get creative. Terrell Brace on 8/5/2010 9:50:44 AM
Sorry I meant to say woukld not leave a Vette...typing too quick for my own good! Gary Moscowitz on 8/5/2010 9:05:16 AM
Moisture will be your biggest enemy. Even in cold weather the inside of an enclosed trailer can get warmer than outside air. Then when things cool down moisture condenses. I would leave a Vette of any age in an enclosed trailer. A good breatheable all weather car cover would prob. be better tho certainly not ideal. Gary M. Gary Moscowitz on 8/5/2010 9:04:31 AM
Humidity coupled with significant temperature fluctuations above and below freezing can have a serious issue long term on both metal (steel frame, etc) and rubber components. You need to control the humidity if at all possible. The more humidity the more corrosion you will have. Harry De Butts on 8/5/2010 8:40:17 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread