Return to ForumsReply to Thread
ASR Service Light and ASR Disabled Light

The Service ASR Light is on and I can no longer switch the ASR on and off. Any ideas? My car is 1 1996 LT1 coupe with only 29k miles. Just added full length headers then light came on. Codes are 65 and 72. Trying not to take it to the dealer if at all possible. To many horror stories about hit and miss fixes. Thanks, Ken.

Submitted by: Kenneth Watters

ReplyPosted By
Ken, first of all thanks for telling me that headers were just installed. To begin with I am assuming these codes you have supplied are ABS/TCM (Anti-Lock Brake System/ Traction Control Module codes. The code DTC 65 is Adjuster Assembly Circuit Malfunction. The ASR adjuster assembly is the black box out under the hood with three cables accelerator, Cruise control servo and throttle body. The black box mounted on the driver side inner fender near the a/c compressor was probably removed during header installation. When the ABS/TCM controller finds a problem with the Adjuster assembly it sets the code 65. The service ASR light will be illuminated and the ASR can not be turned off. The problem can be as simple as the two wire connector with white and gray wires at the adjuster are disconnected. The same wires can be shorted together or shorted to ground. My conclusion is the adjuster assembly connector is either disconnected or the wires have become damaged shorting to one another or to ground. The ABS/TCM code 72 is Serial Data Line Malfunction. This would also keep the ASR light on. It is telling you that there is no serial data transmission between the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) or ABS/TCM. The ABS/TCM is informing you of the potential of traction loss due to an inoperative ASR (acceleration slip regulation) system. Chances are this code has been stored for a while possibly due to some previous work. I would check the adjuster assembly wire and connector make the necessary repairs. After that clear the codes and see what you have. Posted by Administrator on 9/15/2011 8:37:06 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread