Return to ForumsReply to Thread
2001 C5 tires

After 23,000 miles it is time to replace my tires. What tires are recommended that will be quieter than the stock tires and still be good enough to be on my vette?

Submitted by: Steve Flock

ReplyPosted By
I agree with most of the previous posts suggesting Michelin Pilot A/S. I changed to these from the stock Goodyears on my 2000 and thought I had got into a different car. Ride quality and noise improvements were dramatic. I am now driving a 2007 Z06 and have changed to Bridgestones (Michelins were not available). The Bridgestone run-flats also greatly improve ride quality and noise versus the Goodyears. What is amazing about your story is that you somehow managed 23000 miles out of the original Goodyears. Mine were gone after 14000 miles on the C5 and after only 11000 on the C6 and I don't think I drive aggressively. Charles Putnik on 6/18/2014 10:59:40 AM
I recently replaced the tires on my C4 and went to Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport High Performance tires. I'm very happy with the handling of them and they are much quieter than the previous tires that were on my car. Karl Dryfhout on 6/18/2014 9:39:51 AM
Michelin A/S without question. I also have a 2001. William Ford on 6/18/2014 9:29:51 AM
Thanks for the good information. I put Michelin Pilot AS runflats on yesterday. A great difference from the Goodyear tires. Quieter, rides better and seems to handle well. Steve Steve Flock on 6/18/2014 9:27:56 AM
2001 Coupe, Phoenix AZ, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Great tire. Sears Automotive did the install, though, I do not recommend them. Not done on schedule and then I had to return because they di**ed up the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors. My recommendation is to also replace the TPMS's if they have over 75,000 / 5 years on them. I recommend that when your car comes out of the shop, right there in the parking lot check your tire pressure read-out on your panel. Note the values. Then one at a time, let about 5 lbs of air out of each tire. Let a little air out of each tire and then check the corresponding tire pressure read-out on your panel. It may take a couple of minutes until the pressure drop shows up on your panel read-out. What happens is, these shops are in such a hurry that they don't program the TPMS to the correct wheel. This needs to be double-checked by you. After you are finished bleeding a little air out of each tire one at a time and then checking each corresponding pressure drop on your panel, if the programming is screwed up then march back in the shop and tell them to straighten it out. If the programming is correct then ask the shop to top off the tire pressure to your preference (or go to a nearby gas station or your own garage and top it off yourself). Peace out! Brian B on 6/18/2014 9:26:30 AM
I agree on the Michelins. I replaced the factory Goodyears on my 09 C6 with Pilot AS/2s and the noise difference was dramatic. The compromise with the all season tire, however, is a reduction in cornering grip. I'd be interested to know how the 'summer' Michelin performs in the noise category. Eric Bagdikian on 6/18/2014 8:46:56 AM
I replaced my Goodyears with Michelin Pilot AS tires on my 2003. They are much more quiet and ride great. I have not noticed any handling issues as well. Got a good deal from Tire Rack online, and they shipped them to my local dealership, which installed them for me. Good Luck Steve James Huff on 6/18/2014 8:39:53 AM
I replaced my Goodyears with Michelin Pilot AS tires on my 2003. They are much more quiet and ride great. I have not noticed any handling issues as well. Got a good deal from Tire Rack online, and they shipped them to my local dealership, which installed them for me. Good Luck Steve James Huff on 6/18/2014 8:39:48 AM
I replaced my Goodyears with Michelin Pilot AS tires on my 2003. They are much more quiet and ride great. I have not noticed any handling issues as well. Got a good deal from Tire Rack online, and they shipped them to my local dealership, which installed them for me. Good Luck Steve James Huff on 6/18/2014 8:39:48 AM
I replaced my Goodyears with Michelin Pilot AS tires on my 2003. They are much more quiet and ride great. I have not noticed any handling issues as well. Got a good deal from Tire Rack online, and they shipped them to my local dealership, which installed them for me. Good Luck Steve James Huff on 6/18/2014 8:39:47 AM
I have run nothing but Michelin's on my 03 for several years. They ride better, they are quieter and I got 50K out of my first set. I buy mine from Discount Tire who guarantees them for the life of the tire. I had one tire pick up a razor blade in the sidewall not long ago and Discount replaced it, not questions asked. Great tires, great run flats. You won't regret it. Thomas Morgan on 6/18/2014 8:33:00 AM
I have a 2001 as well and I am running Cooper tires front and back. No problems and they are quiet. Hope this helps. Big Daddy on 6/18/2014 8:19:18 AM
I have Michelin Pilot AS tires on my 96. They wear well handling is good and aren't noisy. The only problem I have noticed is they can be very hard when the temps are in 30's and below, once they warm up they are ok John Horn on 6/18/2014 7:10:53 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread