Return to ForumsReply to Thread
V-8 Small Block Rebuild

Am looking at getting my 350/270 engine rebuilt on my 1971 and if no major issues are discovered what should a reasonable cost be to have my engine rebuilt and what items should I expect to have completed in the rebuild?

Submitted by: Lawrence McLin

ReplyPosted By
Thanks Donald will do! Lawrence McLin on 6/26/2016 3:05:08 PM
There's an Enstine on vetts named William Phillips in Sumter SC that has helped me with my two C3 and C5. All he works on is Vetts. You can call him Tuesday - Saturday at 803 494-8944 and he will be glad to assist you. Or fax at 803-494-6264. Donald Sills on 5/29/2016 5:35:28 PM
Ken/ John Thanks so much for the responses. I definitely would not be doing this work. My shop is Dream Restorations in Moyock, NC. All great points as I'm new to the C3 restoration process having been a prior C4/C5 owner. Nothing like a C3. Thanks again! Mac Lawrence McLin on 5/29/2016 1:37:15 PM
No one can tell you what a rebuild will cost until they take your engine apart. I would say 2500 to 3000 is what you can expect. The piston rings need to be replaced and the valves need to be ground. The bearings on the crank shaft need to be replaced as well as the timing chain and engine mounts. Often the labor costs depend on where you live. Posted by Administrator on 5/25/2016 9:13:50 AM
Everything Ken said is true, but it is hard to put a price on rebuilding an old engine. Even if a shop gave you a ballpark price everything could change once they start taking things apart. If they found cracks in the heads, worn valve guides, bent valves, it might not be worth repairing those heads. If it was my car I would put the stock engine in a plastic bag and set it in a corner of your garage, so if you ever sell the Vette to a purest you can give him the correct engine. If you really want to enjoy driving your car, buy any one of the dozens of crate engines available for your Vette. It will come with a warranty, much higher horsepower, and to answer your original question, you will know exactly what it will cost. Yes, it may cost a little more than rebuilding your stock engine, but the smile on your face after banging through the gears will make it all worth it. We had a saying at my shop that I will share with you. " It's never too late to have a happy childhood." Good Luck, John John Puccella on 5/24/2016 1:08:10 PM
who is doing the disassembly? if its you you need to document where the parts went and do the job in a timely manor. How many miles are on the motor? Have a machine shop mic the cylinder walls to see if oval shape and maybe have them bore the block. also have them check the crank for wear to see if it also needs turned. then have the machine shop install the pistons and rings and crank. have the valves checked for problems also. Replace the timing chain and gears. Also inspect the cam for bearing wear and and lifter wear. replace the lifters with new ones. now is a good time to increase the horsepower by installing a cam and polishing and porting the heads and intake and do a gasket match for better low end torque and mileage hope this helps Ken Kenneth Hertzog on 5/24/2016 11:50:50 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread