Return to ForumsReply to Thread
1956 Corvette - grinds while shifting to first gear

I purchased a 1956 all original corvette this year. Runs well, but grinds when shifting into first gear. Took it to transmission shop and they rebuilt transmission, replaced clutch and flywheel. Still grinds, with no improvements after all the work. The transmission shaft is still spinning after shifting to neutral. Shop wanted to ream out pilot bushing, but never did. They also did not try this, but as I picked the car up after 4 months at the shop, they suggested putting a shim on the flywheel. Anybody experienced this issue on a vintage 3 speed vette? Any suggestions? Thanks

Submitted by: John Enloe

ReplyPosted By
They are not synchronized in first gear. They will grind until they stop spinning. Frank Tamburelli on 11/4/2019 4:42:29 PM
According to mechanics I know, they say the problem is usually the pilot shaft bearing. This is outside the transmission therefore any updates to the transmission would not affect this issue. E.E.(Gene) Hawk Elick Hawk on 1/23/2019 10:35:33 AM
A 1956 corvette 3 speed trans. did not have a synchromesh first gear. You must stop the car complete, then shift into first gear and it won't grind. That is all you have to do. Very easy. Good luck - Donald Pontius Donald Pontius on 1/18/2019 9:50:40 PM
You can try using a heaver trans grease this might help. Louis Tedeschi on 1/18/2019 3:02:14 PM
3 Three speed tranny does not synchro 1st gear or reverse. To help or not grind when shifting into either with clutch fully depressed move shift lever into 2nd gear then quickly shift into first or reverse. This stops the main shaft from turning and allows shifter to engage properly. RickyZ on 1/18/2019 2:33:04 PM
I agree with Richard. If you are in neutral, depressing the clutch & trying & put it into 1st, it's most likely going to grind due to no 1st gear sincro. Try shifting into 2nd & then into 1st, should alleviate the problem, which is actually a characteristic of the trans! Mike Scribner on 1/18/2019 2:06:51 PM
I'm sure you realize there are no syncros on first gear. It could be the grade of oil, too thin. Or the clutch is mis-adjusted. Try double clutching and see if that helps. PS: modern shops don't know much about the classics :) Use 80W-140 gear lube. Rick :o) Richard Rogers on 1/16/2019 6:27:00 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread