Return to ForumsReply to Thread
1967 coupe-327/300 poor brakes

This car is new to me, I purchased it and drove it home from Ohio to VT. The brakes are quite poor, high pedal effort and long stopping distances. The Calipers are from Lonestar Caliper Company and so is the master cylinder. All parts have Stainless steel sleeves. I do not know what Pads are in the calipers. The pedal stays firm but is just doesn't stop well. I bled the master cylinder & I have pressure bled the system and Gravity bled the system with no improvement. I can't get the brakes to lock up on dry ground.

Submitted by: Jack Mosley

ReplyPosted By
It looks like the master cylinder may be the problem. Bore ID is 1.125 and it should be 1.000 for a non power brake car. I have one coming with correct casting #'s and bore size. Jack Mosley on 5/17/2019 10:20:04 AM
thanks for the suggestion. The car is put up for the winter so it will be April 15 before I start this work. Jack Mosley on 1/27/2019 9:46:53 AM
Just realized you already have the dual cylinder master :o my bad If your flow looks good look into purchasing a pressure bleeder and as you bleed each cylinder tap on the caliper with a ball peen hammer, not hard but like knocking on a door. with all the pistons involved in each, air can easily get trapped inside. Richard Rogers on 1/21/2019 5:55:37 PM
There is no absolute number. It can range from 800 lbs to 2000 lbs depending on the force used. Make it a 2 person job and take notice if there is any delay in pressure build up OR dropping when released. Being none of your wheels are locking up it most likely in the primary line. I assume you have the original single line master cylinder. You might consider upgrading to a dual master for safety :o) Richard Rogers on 1/19/2019 6:50:52 PM
I'll check flow at each wheel next. Is there a spec. for the pressure at the master cylinder that I could check before testing at each wheel? Jack Mosley on 1/19/2019 10:15:44 AM
Sounds like you have good parts if there not TOO old but what about the steel lines? Often overlooked in inspections those old original lines can plug up with rust and might need to be replaced Rick Richard Rogers on 1/16/2019 6:43:53 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread