Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Rear end noise

Hello. Only after i have been driving my 1969 for around 20 to 30 mins do I start to hear weird thumping sounds from the rear end when i accelerate from a stop sign and turn the wheel . Any ideas? Thanks, Bob in Suffolk, VA

Submitted by: Robert Perkins

ReplyPosted By
I have had a similar experience with my 1978 - twice. It may be the u joints at the differential end of your half shafts. I replaced the u joints back in 2010 and last Spring I put on new half shafts which came with new u joints. It corrected the problem both times. Fred Dailey Frederick Dailey on 3/24/2024 7:58:52 AM
All suggestions to change fluid are correct. Take it one step further. Install a drain plug kit. Inexpensive and not to difficult to do. The only way to completely drain the unit. Thomas Parker on 3/22/2024 2:29:50 PM
I agree with the other comments posted already. I had this issue with my '78. Change the fluid, (you can do this with a suction pump) and add the limited slip differential additive. Vette man on 3/22/2024 1:03:15 PM
I had a similar problem with my '76. It's the differential clutches. It's necessary to fully drain the differential fluid which is not particularly easy to do. Then add/replace with Delco differential fluid along with a bottle of Delco differential additive. Then do figure eights. From experience if the old fluid isn't fully removed the problem will continue. If you plan on having the work done by a grarage be certain that they're familiar with Corvettes. Barry on 3/22/2024 10:23:43 AM
Sounds like you need the liquid additive for the limited slip differential available at Summit, Jegs, etc. Rick Lam on 3/22/2024 7:01:45 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread